FOR THE DELEGATIONS TO ATTEND THE 4TH ASEAN TRADITIONAL TEXTILE SYMPOSIUM
AT THE MUSEUM OF CULTURES OF VIETNAM’S ETHNIC GROUPS
March 15 – 18, 2013
Warmest greetings from The Organizing Committee of the 4th ASEAN Traditional Textiles Symposium!
As the 4th Symposium on the ASEAN Traditional Textiles is coming soon, and we are trying our best to prepare for a successful symposium, so we need assistance from all of you.
This document is to provide some important items for your consideration, and to facilitate our preparation as follows:
(1) Each ASEAN country is required to form a formal delegation. Depending on the circumstance of each country, a full delegation will consist of 4 official delegates of your choice: A leader (who might be the chair person who represents the ASEAN-TTAC, a representative of the textile community, or an authorized person of the Country) who will lead the delegation and be our contact person; a scientist/reseacher who study/research and wrote about your national textile community; and two others are designer/ weaver/ or artisan (See also: ‘Terms of Reference for official delegates’ at the end of this document for more details)
(2) The formal delegation will announce the Symposium (the theme and objectives) to people in their country, who are interested in joining the event, especially to people in the textile/weaving community.
(3) Each formal delegation will be met once at the airport by staff from our Organizing Committee, and taken to a hotel in Hanoi upon arrival (free of charge). For this reason, you are advised to go in a group of both formal delegates and other participants of each country. This is just for your safety and also for our convenience of service. To implement this task, you are required to inform us your flight details and number of people in your group.
(4) For promotion materials, we would be very grateful if you could send us in advance (in February) photos with text and an article introducing the traditional textiles of your country. Photos (it is expected about 20 pictures) are to be printed with high quality in large size for the exhibition. Some of those with narration and introduction will be included in the symposium’s book & catalogue, ideally, if you could send us printed photos by post, or electronically otherwise. We also display traditional dressing of all ASEAN countries, so it is great if you could send us in advance some traditional costumes for display and we promise to keep them in good conditions.
(5) For the presentation on the main day of the Symposium, it is expected that each of 10 ASEAN countries will have a representative speaker to introduce a brief on his/her textile community (about 5 - 10 minutes presentation) focusing on topics specified in the Tentative Program. Other registered speeches are expected to be scheduled in the detailed program soon.1
(5) For exhibition and demonstration, each participant country will be provided a 10m2 space (free of charge) for the show-case. It is your responsibility to bring over all items for display (fabrics, costumes …) and necessary equipment. If you need any assistance for your exhibition and demonstration, do not hesitate to contact us. Other vendors from ASEAN countries can join the bazaar at the symposium venue, so individuals or organizations who wish to join the bazaar to display and sell their products will need to contact us to specify your requirements (How large the space do you need) for registration and pay the fees.
(6) All ASEAN countries are encouraged to join the Gala Night on the second day of the symposium, if you decide to participate, make sure you bring necessary items with you and be prepared for the presentation. If
1 See also: Terms of Reference for ASEAN Speakers/Presenters
you need our assistance to provide models, you have to specify the size of the costumes and other requirements for our preparation.
The 4th ASEAN Traditional Textiles Symposium:
(a) Welcome party on the first evening in Hanoi is planned to be held at:
6B Lang Ha Street
Ba Dinh District, Hanoi, Vietnam
Tel: (84.4) 3 831 3333 Fax: (84.4) 3 831 3300
(b) Transportation from Hanoi to Thai Nguyen on the second day of the Symposium (See the Tentative
Progam) will be organized by the Organizing Committee and is free of charge for all participants being in
(c) Expenses for the symposium: Please visit our website http://aseanttac.mcve.org.vn or http://4th.aseanttac.com/ for detailed information.
(d) Letter of Invitation
The symposium secretariat is pleased to send letters of invitation upon request. These invitations are intended
to help potential participants raise travel funds or obtain a visa, but not a commitment on the part of the organizing committee to provide financial support. Invitation letters should be requested before Feb. 28,
2013. The symposium secretariat is happy to email, fax, or post invitations, on your request.
(e) Funding and reimbursement:
The 4th Symposium on the ASEAN Traditional Textiles is proposed to be funded by the ASEAN Foundation
and Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Vietnam. According to the funding conditions, the official delegates (up to 4 people) as described in (1) above will enjoy the following items to be reimbursed by the Symposium Secretariat on arrival in Thai Nguyen upon submission of proper receipts and tickets:
Return Economy Class airfare from city of origin to Ha Noi, Airport taxes;
And items to be arranged and paid for:
Accommodation for three (3) nights with some rooms on a twin-sharing basis, airport transfers, transport between hotel and symposium venue and sites, all meals and modest allowance.
At this stage, you need to provide us the list of official delegates of the formal delegation of each country
with the details:
Full names, Preferred Name in Badge
Organization/ Affiliation (if any) Address
Telephone, fax, email
Special dietary requirements
Upon receiving the list, we will send you an official letter of in vitation for the formal delegation, confirming the reimbursement for the delegation.
We would also be very grateful if you could provide us a list of all partcipants from your country, and the events you plan to join (Exhibition, demonstration, gala night … or all of those, please specify otherwise).
We hope this document would bring about some useful information for your consideration. For updated information, please frequently visit our website. We also appreciate any comment/ contribution for the success of the symposium.
Thank you very much for your cooperation and support
The Organizing Comeetee of the 4th ASEAN Traditional Textiles Symposium
Dr. Nguyen Thi Ngan,
Director of the Museum of Culture of Vietnam’s Ethnic Groups
“Traditions, Innovations, Interactions: Paving Creative Path for Traditional Textiles of Southeast
Terms of Reference for official delegates
(Quoted from The ASEAN Foundation Project)
Speakers and Presenters:
1. After acknowledgement and acceptance of invitation, all invited Speakers and Presenters must submit the following stipulated deadlines as follows; curriculum vitae and photograph, full title of presentation, 100-word abstract, 1500-word Paper, 20 slides/images with 50-word description for each slide, and sample of textiles, if applicable. All text submissions should be written in English or translated into English.
2. Presentations maybe conducted in any ASEAN language with a written English translation or outline available to audience/participants during the actual presentation
3. Paper and slides/images of each Presentation will be included in a Compendium but the Symposium Secretariat reserves the right to edit all material to meet publishing standards. Ownership and authorship of text and images remain with Speaker and Presenter.
1. After acknowledgement and acceptance of invitation, all Demonstrators must submit requirements on stipulated deadlines as follows: Curriculum vitae and photograph, title of demonstration, backstrap loom and other weaving paraphernalia as needed (with limit on weight) and literature on the demonstration, in English or translated to English.
2. The Symposium Secretariat reserves the right to publish photographs taken of the Demonstrators during the Symposium.
1. After acknowledgement and acceptance of invitation, all Designers from ASEAN countries must submit requirements on stipulated deadlines as follows: Curriculum vitae and photograph, a statement on their work.
2. Invited Designers must comply with the Guidelines on Preparing for the Culture of Clothing Show as provided by the Symposium Secretariat.
3. The Symposium Secretariat reserves the right to publish photographs taken during the Cultures of
Clothing Show on Gala Evening.